Monday, September 12, 2011

Week 2 Blog

Bruce Davidson
http://stu89edwards.blogspot.com/2011/08/bruce-davidson.html
This Picture stood out to me when looking through Davidsons work. The reason being he uses Point Of View, Shadow, Objects and Texture all to his advantage. These four things make this photo an individual. The texture of the brick makes a usually common surface we walk on to something that contrasts the figures walking in the frame. This brings me to the shadows of the figures. Looking back at the "four" things I thought were important there is another the time of which he took this picture, at anytime right after or right before this picture was taken the shadows would not be as involved. Due to the timing he captured most of these figures in mid-step. I am then wondering to myself... what are these objects in the frame? The shadows help give it away but hats and collars seal the deal.

Justine Kerland
http://hautecouturetaxonomy.wordpress.com/2009/04/09/photography-by-justine-kurland/
I kind of stumbled upon this photo. and the thing that attracted me to it was the idea of how real it could be. This photograph has a "shock" factor, if you will. A boy floating in a river pale as can be with no notion of fear. For anyone who has a sibling or child this can be a real big fear. Going out to enjoy the river and then tragedy hits. What happened to johnny??? To me this photograph tells many stories and asks many questions. Where are they? Is he dead? Do they see him? Are they gonna look for help? The list goes on for me. This photograph is also very well composed and has a range of Shadows and Highlights that attract my eye.

Tokihiro Sato
http://www.tonkonow.com/sato.html
Tokihiro is a master of manipulating light to his advantage. As one could see in this photograph portrayed above. He not only brought a new style photography but owned it as his own. In the photo above he uses a long exposure to add fluid lines over and over through out all of the steps on the hill. Tokihiro influenced my work for my assignment this week for class "Fact or Fiction" I introduced light and long exposures into the work I put in this week. I am not sure I will fabricate it quite as well as he does but I will see. I also like the strong lines he has in most of his photographs very geometric with buildings, stairs, walls, walkways, etc. I am attracted to these things myself and it just amplifies my enjoyment from looking at his photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment